Grandma & Grandpa Parke took us skiing today. Well, I watched & took pictures because pregnant ladies are not allowed to ski. Christian got in a few bigger runs with his Dad but most of the time was spent on the Bunny Slope. The day started with Jillian announcing at the car just after we dressed her "I never want to do this again, I am so squished". This is a girl who thinks all her clothes are uncomfortable so all the layers really threw her off.
We got everyone dressed, made our way down to the ski area & then the fun began. For the record, I have been skiing twice (or I suppose I should say have had lift passes bought for me twice) and never made it on the lift, never went more than about 10 feet & basically it was all a big waste. Luckily the kids seem to take after the Parke side of the family.
Carter & Grandpa started off right away with many falls but lots of enthusiasm. It was about a 5 min run down the hill. They caught the lift back up and were off again. Carter went down about 4 times and he improved steadily each time with fewer & fewer falls.
His most notable run of the day was when he ended up backwards. He went flying down the hill, I got a picture of him going backwards thinking it was so funny & cute until I realized he was going too fast for anyone to get to him & was headed for the larger slope with all the trees. After much shouting at him by Grandpa & Daddy, he finally fell and stopped himself just on the edge of the steep slope. I about had a heart attack watching & was so relieved when he finally stopped.
Jillian started off more slowly making about a 10 minute, 50 fall decent her first time down. She made 3 more runs which were a little better but she was pretty timid. The kids stopped for lunch, warmed up & watched some Smurf's (to keep them close) and then they went back out.
Jillian seemed to have been revived by lunch because she was amazing after. Carter did about 2 more runs, then he came in with me to get out of the cold, watch & eventually fall asleep. Jillian, on the other hand, spent about the next 2 hours zooming down the slope. By the time I got out to watch her she was riding the lift up by herself (she insisted!!), getting off with a little help from the worker, & then she would start right back down before Grandma & Grandpa were even off the lift. By the end of the day she could ski all the way down without falling. It was pretty amazing to watch. She loved it and didn't want to stop until she got too cold too continue.
All in all it was a very successful day & we definitely seem to have some skiers on our hands.





5 comments:
Oh it looks like you all had such a fun time!!!!! Hopefully next year Tennyson will be able to go with Jilly and Carter. I think he'd love it too. How far is the mountain from your place? Great pictures by the way!
Thanks! It takes about an hour to get up there but the drive is really easy. No winding through the mountain, it is pretty straight & level. It is a small resort but just fine for what we want to do. CHP is going to try to take Jill up again sometime.
That is so cool that your kids are learning to ski. I bet they had a blast.
Ya I am not a fan either I prefer the water and warm sports. Atleast the kids liked it.
Have you found out the sex yet????
Yep, it is boy #2. I wanted a girl at first but we are excited for this little guy. Only about 7 weeks left!!!!! I can't wait to be able to breathe, roll over & bend over again.
Post a Comment